The cold is approaching fast here. We even had our first nights with freezing temps. So I knew there was one thing I wanted to get done NOW before it was too late.
Get the last of my flowers out of the garden before the frost would kill them all.
I just took my clippers and snapped off every flower that still looked good and every bud that had a fighting chance of blooming. The result was a mixed bunch of flowers that I might not have put together under different circumstances.
But I made it work. With an easy trick to flower arranging.
When you are making a really large bouquet in a wide container like a bucket, or as in this case a very mixed bouquet in a soup terrine, chicken wire makes it sooooo easy. Just form a cover in your container to help the flowers stay in place.
I started with some greens to tone the wild combination of all those pinks and purples down. The chicken wire helps to keep every stem in its place.
And then just fill her up.
Like really fill. Don’t think too much about the rules, but if you have too: remember odd numbers, go for a round shape (so slightly higher in the middle than on the sides), and try to distribute the flowers evenly.
Really it is easy, a kid can do it.
I am usually one for very loose and informal bouquets. But on occasion I can really enjoy this more formal arrangement too. And it is the perfect way to combine all those leftover flowers from my garden.
I am so glad I remembered to get them inside on time, so I can enjoy them, instead of letting them go to waste outside.
Speaking of letting something go to waste…
Have you ever done this?
Plunked a plant in the bird bath?
No. Hmmm. Well clearly I have. This plant was growing in the blue container that I used two weeks ago for my tulip planting fest. I fully intended to find a new home for them, but left them out on the terrace in the rain for days. Then the rain went away and the plant started to dry out, I really should just have replanted it then. But instead I plunked it in the bird bath.
I was thinking of doing a little project. Maybe embellish a pot really nice and cool….
This weekend I realized that if I didn’t do something soon the plant would drown and dry out at the same time. It really didn’t have the time of life to wait for one of my projects to be finished.
So instead I just replanted it in a bucket.
There she is, saved in the nick of times. Hopefully she’ll have time to grow strong again before winter comes along.
I guess sometimes the trick to Getting Things Done! is simply doing them….
I am writing a series of 31 days to Get it Done! You can find all the posts in this series here.
On the first day I explained in detail what this series is about and what I am going to do, find that post and all the posts since then in order here.
If you liked this post enter your email address to subscribe to post updates or my newsletter via email: