Looking for a fun and easy fall wreath idea? How about a fabric wreath made from scraps and some faux and real flowers. This fall rag wreath is a fun craft project and very easy to make.
I have been crafting. I made a fun little project, just because. I love how my little fall fabric wreath turned out. I think it might just inspire some Fall Mantel Decor with a Wreath Focal Point. You can make yourself a fabric fall wreath too. Let me show you how I made mine.
She is nice isn’t she? I like how my little rag wreath turned out, even though I didn’t have a clear plan going in. I had this vague idea that I wanted some soft and soothing colors. And I wanted to use what I had on hand. No buying any materials this time round.
I guess I love it when a (non-existent) plan comes together.
To start I just rummaged around my craft room, the basement and the shed. Basically everywhere where I keep my ‘stuff”. My most important, can never part with it, because you never know when it comes in handy, stuff.
I picked up things that looked good and somehow fell in the color range I vaguely had in my mind. I looked for things that felt autumn to me, like they belonged in a fall wreath.
I ended up with fabric and burlap, lace and feathers, some fake flowers and raffia and some planting pots. It looked good together.
Except those fake flowers. They were definitely a tad too bright and white. So my first order of business was to tone those down a bit. I gave them a bath. Let me show you how to tea dye faux flowers to give them a neutral and vintage look.
To give bright faux flowers a vintage look, you can give them a tea bath. Put your face flowers in a bowl. Boil water and get a couple of tea bags. Cover the faux flowers with boiling water and add the tea bags. Let steep for at least a couple of hours or overnight. The color of your faux flowers will receive into a nice neutral and vintage hue.
While my flowers were enjoying their hot batch I used the rest of the water to make myself a cuppa and I went on with the next step.
Ripping the fabric into strips. I cut and I ripped until most of my fabric was turned into a pile of scraps. And then I started knotting. To make the rag wreath I made fabric scraps that were about 10 inches long. I advise to leave the fabric scraps a bit longer than you will ultimately want them, simply because all that tying and knotting is so much easier with a strip that is a bit longer.
Rip and cut way more strips than you think you might need. Because you want to really stuff the scraps in tight.
This is how she looked at this stage.
I thought she looked pretty already. I could totally imagine stopping at this point, like I did when I made my fabric Christmas wreath back in the old days. But as much as I liked the fabricky goodness a vision was coming alive and I wanted to see how my flowers were doing in their bath.
Pretty good actually.
The soaking had definitely tuned that white down in to a lovely natural soft pinky/brown. I just didn’t like those bright yellow hearts. So I tried to tone those down with some ink (didn’t work so well, but it did give the petals a nice edge). In the end I just dabbled some craft paint on them with a brush. That did the trick.
And then the assembly began.
Some hydrangea Annabelle from my garden…..
Tea died flowers….
And some squiggly bead/berry branches I found in my florist’s stash.
I simply pushed the flower stems through the knots in the fabric and when necessary added a bit of florist wire to secure them.
More DIY wreath ideas
<<<< white and silver winter wreath >>>>
<<<< how to make a twig wreath >>>>
<<<< how to make an autumn hops wreath >>>>
This was a fun project. And I loved how my fabric wreath turned out. It is only fitting that she is the star focal point in my fall mantel decor featuring birdcages and a vintage mirror. Fall is definitely sneaking into my home, and every day a few shells and sea stars are moving out and some pine cones and scented candles are moving in. This little wreath fits in perfectly
PS UPDATE This fabric wreath lasted until next years Fall too, when I repurposed her into a hydrangea wreath.
Pin to remember this post!