Howdy guys, remember when I showed you this sneak-peak of my ongoing bedroom makeover?
Well you are about to see more. Cause look this drab, boring and most of all empty bedroom I started out with (here comes the infamous before picture).
Is starting to look not so nekkid anymore:
We have a headboard. Want a close-up? Here it is:
I struggled a long time with what to do to our bedroom. I had a shortlist of things I wanted (actually I better call it a Long List), but it took me forever to come up with a plan. I knew I wanted some texture and color in there, some raw materials with a ‘tough’ look to counteract with the more romantic bedding I like so much. I’ll do a post soon about the route I took to come up with this (and believe me that was a long journey with lots of side-paths, roundabouts and dead-ends), but now I just want to show you the end result.
Our headboard made out of repurposed wood.
We started with this:
Bare wood planks that had been used for scaffolding building, although I didn’t know that was where they came from. The wood is called ‘steiger’ wood here. But steiger has two meanings in Dutch, one is the landing dock for boats, the other is scaffolding. I always associated this wood with water and boats, my Love knew that it had been used in construction and building projects. Can I tell you I still have not lived down his surprise and total mockery of me when he realized my mistake. My DIY credibility has been compromised, I can tell you that….
Ok repurposed scaffolding wood it is. We gave it a good sanding. Because although I liked the roughness of it, with paint spots and cement residue, I thought a slightly less splintery surface would be better.
And then I couldn’t make up my mind if I wanted to go the whitewash route or not. As you can see I decided not to go for white for a change. There will be a lot of white in the bedroom anyway (my wardrobe makeover is one of those new white elements in there), and I wanted to emphasize the wood. So I opted for stain instead.
And then we built it.
With my new tool, I marked the spots where the supports had to go.
We secured three supports on to the wall and then screwed the planks on to them. The planks are not completely straight so there are some gaps and uneven spots, but I like that. As you can see we drilled some holes for the power outlets in the bottom plank.
I used 8 planks and then finished the edge of with a bit of white painted wood.
I love the end result. It gives instant character and warmth to the room.
And that edge up there is just screaming out for some little decorations. As my whole bedroom still is.
I managed to finish some of the bigger projects in here during my summer break, but now that normal life has returned I am struggling to find time to really finish my bedroom.
So you will have to be patient for the grand finale a little longer.
In the meantime I hope you enjoy this look at my new headboard.
Holding my breath to hear what you think….