Hi you guys. Thanks all for your love for my numbered pillows it was fun making them and I do see some more pillows in my future. If you’d like to see one of those pillows in your future don’t forget to check yesterday’s post for the instructions on how you can win one of them.
But the topic of today is about another hobby of mine and that is making wreaths.
This time it started with this gorgeous bit of Inspiration:
If you follow me on Twitter you might have noticed that a lot of my tweets start with “Photo:”
Like this one:
If one of my tweets starts with photo and ends with a link to Tumblr, it means I have added something to my Inspiration files. In this particular case I saw this gorgeous Pine Cone Wreath over at Just A Girl. It reminded me of the two bags of pinecones I had collected in the garden at work earlier this year. They were still being neglected drying in my basement. Inspired by Chris’s beauty I set out to work.
Gathering the usual suspects: glue gun and straw wreath. Oh and my pinecones of course.
And started glueing them on.
Except after the first few went on, I could see I had a problem.
My pinecones were quite big and wide and I couldn’t get them close enough together
Hmm. Luckily enough experience has taught me not to give up too quickly. So I just kept adding pinecones. And then had the luminous idea to just turn some over and glue them on backwards.
Of course I did have to cut off the top to be able to squish them in there.
And that sounds a whole lot easier than it was. Those pinecones are tough and hard and resistant. I tried various tools, both powered and unpowered, but in the end just hacking/twisting/cutting away with a pair of standard garden clippers worked best.
I really like how the bottoms add another color tone.
I used an extra wide straw wreath, for dramatic effect. And wow drama it was.
Drama to get it on my door that is, because this baby is heavy!! And the problem is our front door is one of those plastic ones (it is on the list of things to change, trust me). So I can’t attach a proper hook to it.
I used duck tape. Both on top of the door (in the doorframe so to speak) and for safety some at the back too.
So let’s all just hope and pray the fabric doesn’t slip out of the duck tape’s grip….
And of course now I have several ugly strips of duck tape on the inside of my door….
But heck! At least the outside is looking good!